As a result of this [His previous words] many of His disciples withdrew and were not walking with Him anymore. So Jesus said to the twelve, "You do not want to go away also, do you?" Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life. We have believed and have come to know that You are the Holy One of God." - John 6:66-70
Jesus teaches something in the synagogue that is very controversial (6:26-59). It is so controversial that He loses many people from His huge following. Lots of admirers, fans, and those who liked His teaching and were amazed at His miracles (especially multiplying bread and fish in 6:1-14, which explains His metaphor of bread in this speech) now are shocked and disappointed, and leave by the lot. The same people who said of Jesus, "This is truly the Prophet who is to come into the world" (6:14) a day before now shake their heads and abandon Him. I guess maybe they changed their minds?
I can understand their confusion, and maybe even their disgust at Jesus' message. They were not expecting Him to claim to be "the bread of life" and "the bread which comes down out of heaven" (6:48, 49), or to tell them that "[h]e who eats My flesh and drinks My bloods abides in Me, and I in him" (6:56). Apparently, some of them took His metaphor for spiritual sustenance quite literally: '"How can this man give us His flesh to eat?" (6:52). In the end, many of them go, saying, '"This is a difficult statement; who can listen to it?"' (6:60).
It's strange that the same people who saw Jesus do a miracle fail to understand what He is truly saying. Just as He fed them all the previous day, He now teaches them that they must believe in Him and spiritually rely on Him to have true life. And yet, this is a message that many times we don't want to hear.
How many times have you thought (consciously or unconsciously) that you didn't need Jesus to do something in your life? How many times have you thought or felt that you were fine the way you were? I am so used to living in the way that I am accustomed to that sometimes it takes a wakeup call for me to recognize and remember that I need Jesus. I not only need Him to help me with certain things (ie. when troubles hit), but I need Him to be consistently working in my life, day in and day out, to change me in the long term and to give my life meaning and direction. I need His help to bring me closer to Him and live the way He wants (and not in a controlling way, but in a way that will actually bring me true freedom from the things that hold me back and keep my imprisoned in life). I am so used to relying on myself that sometimes I forget I need Jesus in everything I do.
Today I am working on a paper that I have struggled over (ie. avoided doing) for a long while. It is not a huge challenge in itself, but mental obstacles have been keeping my hands tied. The task seems overwhelming, and I am aware today that I can't seem to muster up the strength or courage to do it on my own. I need Jesus to help me be able to do this. Sometimes it is need and weakness that awaken my need for Him and His strength.
This paper will pass, and other challenges that I am facing probably will too. Even so, I cannot forget that even after individual challenges disappear, a deep and chronic need for Jesus remains. The good news, however, is that He is always there, and He is close. He has time for me, and doesn't wave me away. He wants us to come near and rely on Him; He wants to be our bread.
Whenever I don't know how quite to connect with Jesus, I just talk to Him. I know He's listening.
Today I pray that those struggling with things would not only talk to Jesus to ask Him to help with their specific challenges, but that we would develop a lifelong connection with Him, seeking His help through all of life's molehills and mountains, and that we would know and love Him for who He really is.
No comments:
Post a Comment