More thoughts on social media, and how by engaging in it too much, we accidentally stumble into shallow living.
This is not to criticize anyone. I do it too. Sometimes when I am enjoying a moment, I decide to try and capture that for my fellow peers online. However, I realized that a picture of my coffee can communicate a fact (“I am enjoying a latte,”) but doesn’t necessarily capture what I’m feeling about it. For example, as I drink that coffee, there is a myriad of possibilities for what I may actually be thinking. There are so many things that coffee could represent: “I am taking the day to rest,” or “even in the busyness of a day I can take a moment to sit, relax, look out the window, and breathe – to think about my life and appreciate what I have.” Or even this: “My day is so incredibly fast-paced and I’ve had so little sleep that I need this shot of caffeine to boost me through the day. I’m not feeling great, and today is difficult.” But we need not continue in shallow living. It’s not wrong to post our morning lattes on social media (who doesn’t love a cute cat face masterfully crafted in foam?) But life must reach beyond that. Let’s explain how we feel, and reflect on what that means. Perhaps not on social media – wherever is appropriate for you, do it there. Whether that’s in your journal or your head, or to a close friend or family member, understand yourself and connect with someone. Especially, when we’ve come to terms with what we’re feeling, explain your inner workings to God, who understands.
And if you need some music to reflect or pray to, try this: Brian Eno, "2-2"
No comments:
Post a Comment